A year ago Kate started speech therapy. I have been really pleased with her progress. She first started working on her K and G sounds which she can now say correctly 100% of the time. It has been very encouraging. They have moved on to working on her lisp for letters like s and z followed by ch, sh and j. When she was tested last year she easily qualified, which was of course good and bad; you don't want your child to have a problem, but if they do, of course you want them to have help for it. Well, I knew that her year was coming to an end, and I was really worried that she wouldn't qualify for more help. They kind of have silly rules so even though she still needs a little more time, I was afraid she wouldn't get it. Needless to say, I was very relieved when the speech therapist called me this week and asked me to come in and sign the paper work for another year of therapy.
I met with him today and we were talking about her progress and what he would still like to accomplish with her. He started off by telling me that when he met with her today she was acting very goofy- not shocking. They were working on her S sound and he asked her if he had given her a snake to take home. I know immediately where this is going. She told him no, paused, looked at him and said, "My mom is afraid of snakes." So he said he asked her, "Well, do you want to scare your mom?" He said she got the most mischevious look on her face, grinned and said, "Yes." All I asked was, "Does she have a snake in her backpack that I need to know about because if I reach in to get her papers and grab that instead it might be the end of me." And the answer was yes.

Then he asked me if I really was afraid of them and I just laughed, oh you have no idea buddy! I was cleaning up a few papers this evening and this was sitting next to one of them and as I grabbed the paper I felt a slight rush of adrenaline. I know I have a serious problem here, but if it helps her learn her S sound, I'll live with this thing for a little while. I just gave her a very serious talk that that snake must NEVER end up in my bed! Jerry's got my back!
3 comments:
S's have been so hard for Henry so plan on that snake being around for awhile!
I'm so glad Kate is making progress and you've been happy with her speech improving. I'm so grateful to people who train to help our children with this delay. Henry has recently conquered "F" but is now confusing his F's with his Th's. Sigh.
I am definitely a believer in early intervention speech therapy...my little guy is a success story. Good for Kate for making progress and I know it was a relief to get another year a therapy.
Oh I can't wait to share this post with my boys. They will be so anxious to help Kate. Of course, every time you visit us, you know what you're in for so I know you can handle this!! I actually think this is therapy for you - to overcome a difficulty in your life. Good for you Kelly.
Post a Comment